The Health Professions Council of South Africa is a statutory body, established in terms of the Health Professions Act and is committed to protecting the public and guiding the professions.
The HPCSA, together with the 12 Professional Boards under its ambit, is established to provide for control over the education, training and registration for practicing of health professions registered under the Health Professions Act.
In order to protect the public and guide the professions, council ensures that practitioners uphold and maintain professional and ethical standards within the health professions and ensure the investigation of complaints concerning practitioners and to ensure that disciplinary action is taken against persons who fail to act accordingly.
As a statutory body, the HPCSA is guided by a formal regulatory framework and this includes our founding Act, the Health Professions Act 56 of 1974.
This Act governs all our activities, clearly defines the scope of each profession which it mandates to register with HPCSA, and sets clear processes to be followed by HPCSA in achieving our statutory mandate.
Quality and Equitable Healthcare for All.
To enhance the quality of health for all by developing strategic policy frameworks for effective and efficient co-ordination and guidance of the professions through:
In fulfilling its roles of regulator, guide and advocate as well as administrator, the HPCSA holds the following values central to its functioning.
Dr M Kwinda
Ms M de Graaff
Head: Finance & Supply Chain
Adv P Khumalo
Head: Legal & Regulatory Affairs
Head: Core Operations
Head: Office of the Registrar
Head: Corporate Services
|President||Dr. Tebogo Kgosietsile Solomon Letlape|
|Vice President||Mr. Lesiba Arnold Malotana|
|Dental Assisting, Dental Therapy & Oral Hygeine||Dr. Tufayl Ahmed Muslim|
|Dietetics & Nutrition||Prof Sussana M Hanekom|
|Emergency Care||Mr. Lesiba Arnold Malotana
Mrs. Dagmar Muhlbauer
Mr. Simphiwe Sobuwa
|Environmental Health Practitioners||Ms. Duduzile Julia Sebidi|
|Medical, Dental & Medical Science||Dr. Tebogo Kgosietsile Solomon Letlape
Prof. Yusuf Ismail Osman
Dr. Reno Lance Morar
|Medical Technology||Mr. Molefe Aubrey William Louw|
|Optometry and Dispensing Opticians||Mr. Maemo Kobe|
|Occupational Therapy and Medical Orthotics/Prosthetics||Ms. Martha S van Niekerk|
|Psychology||Prof. Basil Joseph Pillay|
|Physiotherapy, Podiatry and Biokinetics||Ms. Nokuzola Doris Dantile|
|Radiography and Clinical Technology||Mr. Aladdin Speelman|
|Speech-Language and Hearing||Dr. Sadna Balton|
|Community Representative not registered in Terms of Act||Ms. Xoliswa Bacela
Mr. Ketso Obed Tsekeli
Ms. Ruth Maphosa Gontsana
Ms. Julia Mmaphuti Nare
Adv. Tebogo Mafafo
Prof. Nobelungu Julia Mekwa
Ms. Marie Mercia Isaacs
Ms. Mmanape Mothapo
Dr. Anusha Lucen
|Department of Education||....|
|Department of Health||Dr. Aquina Thulare|
|Person versed in Law||Mr. Sello Ramasala|
|Person appointed by the Universities South Africa (Higher Education South Africa )||Prof. Khaya Mfenyana
Prof. Nomthandazo Gwele
Prof. GJ van Zyl
|South African Military Health Services||Major-General ZWS Dabula|
The amendment of the Health Professions Act in 2007, marked the launch of a new era in the history of medical and health regulations – stepping stones to a brighter future in health care for all.
The Heath Professions Council of South is now consist of 32 members made up as follows:
Section 4 of the Health Professions Act was amended by the Health Professions Amendment Act, 2007 (Act No. 29 of 2007 by introducing a requirement for the exercise of the powers of Council to be in line with the National Health Policy as determined by the Minister.
The 'Medical and Pharmacy Council of the Orange River Colony resulted from Ordinance 29 of 1904 and the Council met on 13 July, 1904 in the Council Chamber of the Railway Bureau in Bloemfontein. In terms of Ordinance 29 of 1904, the ‘Transvaal Medical Council’ was established. On 4 January, 1905 the Council had its first meeting in the House of Assembly’s Second Boardroom in Pretoria.
These Councils’ members were partly appointed by the government, while other members were elected for periods of five years. Although provision was made for an Executive Committee in the regulation of the 'Colonial Medical Council', no indication of a permanent structure can be found. This is also the case with regard to the ‘Natal Medical Council’. The 'Transvaal Medical Council' and the ‘Medical and Pharmacy Council of the Orange River Colony’ however had Executive Committees.
The HPCSA’s origins date back to 1928 when, in accordance with Act 13 of 1928, the South African Medical and Dental Council (SAMDC) was appointed to fulfil the functions of the four former provincial councils. Act 13 of 1928 made provision for two statutory councils: the South African Medical Council (SAMC) and the South African Pharmacists' Commission (SAPC). The SAMC was also responsible for the registration of nurses until the South African Nursing Council (SANC) was established as a separate council in 1944. Likewise, the registration of dental technicians was the responsibility of the SAMC until the formation of the South African Dental Technicians' Council in 1945.
Act 56 of 1974 replaced Act 13 of 1928, in terms of which the SAMDC, now renamed the HPCSA, continues to exist as a separate legal entity. The first meeting of the Council was held on 22 October, 1928 in Pretoria and was opened by the late Dr. D F Malan, the then Minister of National Health and later the fourth Prime Minister of the Union of South Africa.
Although Act 13 of 1928 made provision for the South African Medical Council and the South African Pharmacist’s Commission to exist as two statutory councils, these two Councils actually had a common Registrar for a number of years.
In 1947, the first register of medical deputies was established. Attempts aimed at making registration of these professions, later paramedical and supplementary health service professions, compulsory, has a history of its own. After a variety of draft bills and elected Committees of Parliament, Act 13 of 1928 was amended in 1971 to make provision for the establishment of professional boards registered with the Council. Professional Boards for Physiotherapy, Optometry, Medical Technology, Chiropody (Podiatry), Health Inspectors, Occupational Therapy, Psychology, Radiography, Medical Orthotists and Prosthetists, Speech Therapy, Audiology, Dietetics, Oral Hygiene, Opticians and Clinical Technology were established. More professional Boards were established at a later stage while others were amended or combined as necessary.
Regulation of the practice of medicine and allied professions in the Republic of South Africa began in the late 19th century. The Colonial Medical Council of the Cape Province was founded in terms of section 18 of the ‘Medical and Pharmacy Act’ of 1891. The first meeting of this council took place on 4 January, 1892.
In Natal, the ‘Natal Medical Council’ was established in terms of section 18 of the ‘Medical and Pharmacy Act’ of 1896 and the first meeting was held on 9 October, 1896 in Pietermaritzburg.