Protecting the public and
guiding the professions


Registration with the HPCSA is a pre-requisite for professional practice and it is also a legal requirement to keep all personal details up to date at all times.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

Quick Reference Guide for registrations                  click here

Certificates and Issuing of practice cards

I have lost my registration certificate, can I get another one?
Yes, but you have to apply and pay R432 for a certified extract of the registration certificate.

What can I do to obtain a certificate of good standing?
Submit request electronically to
Submit proof of payment of prescribed fee and affidavit, which is available from website
You can also pay a courier fee for delivery in RSA R124 and R556 abroad. Otherwise it will be sent by registered mail at no extra cost.


What is CPD? Continuing professional development
What is a CEU? Continuing education unit
I am on maternity leave, do I have to comply with CPD?  Yes
I am retired, do I have to comply with CPD? Yes
I am working abroad, do I have to comply with CPD? Yes, however, if you are compliant with the CPD requirements in the country where you are currently working, we will accept your CPD certificates or a letter from that licensing authority stating that you are compliant.
I am not working and do not practise my profession, do I have to comply? Yes, if you are registered you will have to comply or alternatively – 
a. apply for voluntary erasure (no annual fees payable and you do not have to comply with the CPD requirements
b. request to put your name on the non-clinical register (pay the full annual fee and you do not have to comply with CPD requirements.

Please note that in both cases if your name is off the register longer than 2 years, certain conditions as set by the Board will apply. 

Further note that if your name is erased from the register or if you are registered in the category non-clinical practice, you cannot write prescriptions or practise your profession in any way.
If I am registered in two different categories, do I have to obtain CEUs in both? Yes
I am doing community service, do I have to comply with CPD? No
Where do I obtain accreditation for activities? From the relevant Board’s accreditors
I am currently in an academic post, do I have to comply with CPD ? Yes
How many CEUs do I need to be compliant in a two year period? All professions 60 CEUs 10 Ethics excluding assistants. Please see our guidelins for more specific profession related information.
I am currently studying, do I need to comply with CPD? No
Why is fax number on the individual activity record out of order? Due to technical difficulties experienced in our mail room please use the landline numbers on the letter as fax numbers
Are my CPD portfolio up to date and how many points do I have?
We do not currently provide any information regarding CPD, please keep your certificates and provide them when you are audited.

Duration of time for practitioner to be registered on the non-clinical register before conditions will apply?
If you are registered in non-clinical register for a period exceeding two years, conditions will apply, eg. Board examination, work under supervision for a certain period.
Voluntarily request for audit to be done? Only in exceptional cases requested by a regulator abroad confirming compliance.
Erasure done on practitioners but have not received any notification of being erased? Your name has been erased from the register due to non-compliance with CPD what is my course of action, please send an email to the CPD department on
Request for copies of erasure/suspension letters(reprint? Copies will be provided to practitioner on request.
Who decides on erasures of practitioners? Professional Board
While being exempted due to age and erased due to non-compliance with CPD, should restoration fee be paid?
Yes, annual fee will not be paid but restoration fee has to be paid.
I work in a rural or remote area where there are no opportunities for CPD activities? Contact CPD Section at for online activities.
Where can I get ethics, law and human rights points? Practitioners should enquire from course providers whether ethics are involved otherwise online activities provide these points.


  • May I practise more than one profession at the same time?
    It is acceptable that practitioners who are registered with the Council may practise more than one profession (including a profession for the practising of which registration with a professional body other than the Council is a prerequisite) provided that such practitioner at all times complies with the ethical rules of each profession in respect of which he or she is registered, and provided further that a patient must at all times be informed in what capacity the practitioner with whom the patient is consulting, is practising, and what tariff of fees applies in respect of the consultation.
  • I wish to enter into private practice. What are the requirements and procedure?

    You are required to contact the Board of Healthcare Funders of SA (BHF) in order to register a practice number. BHF would also require you to submit a Certified Extract from the register as proof of your current registration status.
    Contact details are as follows:
    Board of Healthcare Funders of SA
    Telephone: (+27) 11 537 0200
    Attachment: Practice Options
  • I am leaving the country and will not be practicing in SA. Has provision been made for a reduced annual fee?

    No provision exists for the payment of a reduced annual fee. Provision however exists for the voluntary erasure of a practitioners’ name from the register in terms of Section 19(1)© of the Act. Practitioners are required to apply personally in writing prior to 31 March of a particular year for voluntary erasure from the register.
    Should a person wish to have his/her name restored to the register, the following procedure would apply:

    Application from a practitioner who has NOT been practising his/her profession following voluntary erasure:
    If a person requests reinstatement following a period exceeding two (2) years from the date of erasure, the professional board concerned may impose one or more of the following conditions before reinstating such a practitioner onto the register a period of supervised practice as may be determined by the Professional Board will be required; or any form of assessment as determined by the relevant Professional Board, including a written or oral and/or clinical examination in relevant areas of practice. Upon successful completion of these requirements, the practitioner may then be restored to the register subject to the payment of the necessary fees.

    The following have to be submitted with the application for restoration:
    (a) A duly completed application form, Form 18 signed in front of a Commissioner of Oaths;
    (b) The applicable annual fee for that year; and
    (c) Any proof of CPD activities attended to during the time of erasure.

    If a practitioner has been registered with an acceptable other Professional Board or an equivalent licensing institution/body/regulating authority outside South Africa the following will apply:
    A duly completed application form, Form 18, signed in front of a Commissioner of Oaths;
    The applicable annual fee for that year;
    A Certificate of Status, which is not older than three months, issued by the country/institution/body/regulating authority;
    A detailed CV detailing the work experience with proof of registration/work experience in that country; and Proof of compliance with the CPD requirements of that country/institution/body/regulating authority or a summary of CPD activities with accompanying certificates completed during the period of erasure.

Records and Registration

  • How do I update my contact details at HPCSA register?
    To update your contact details, send a request to
  • I have sent a copy of my degree but you say it is not acceptable, why is it so?
    Copy your degree should be certified by a notary public attorney and not a Commission of Oaths.
  • What is HPCSA doing for us (practitioners)?
    Accredit training institutions, the curriculum, best practices, set guidelines, monitor compliance with set standards by ensuring that practitioner do continuing professional development.
  • How can I check practitioner registration status?
    To check practitioner registration status online click this link